Topic 4

According to the article, Defining OER-Enabled Pedagogy, presented by David Wiley and John Hilton(2018), I found that the teaching method supported by open educational resources is in line with teaching and learning practice.

First of all, I think the exam is necessary, but the form and content of the exam should be open. Students can learn in the creation and achieve their goals through their imagination and creativity. It can train students’ thinking ability, make them have the courage to try and stick to it, and achieve their individual learning goals. In addition, I passed the test of these four parts in my education. Through the open teaching method, as students, we can openly share our works and achievements. The lecturer evaluates the works. According to the results, other students can obtain opportunities for knowledge review and self-examination so that both sides can master particular learning abilities.
If I am a teacher, I plan to design these four parts of the test to assist learning. For example, students are required to create new works and publicly share their new works because this is not only supporting the author’s autonomous learning and open learning. In addition, the works shared by the author can also be used as resources to support the learning value of other learners and potentially improve the learning ability of future students.
The different views between open educational resources and open textbooks that need further research have attracted my attention at the end of the article. Most people believe that open textbooks will give students more resources and improve their learning ability, and open educational resources are free, not as good as commercial alternatives. However, from the conclusion, we find that some methods using OER are actually expensive. Therefore, we can assume that students and teachers find its value in their work, encourage them to save costs, improve this learning method, and find the benefits of open education, improving the quality of students’ learning and teachers’ work.

Wiley, D. & Hilton, J. (2018). Defining OER-enabled Pedagogy. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 19(4).